[Mondrian] Mondrian 4 XSD

Diethard Steiner diethard.steiner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 06:34:27 EST 2013

Hi Julian,
Many thanks for your feedback!
(1) I think for new users it would be an advantage to have a XSD or DTD to
easily lay out the OLAP schema by using a GUI (any popular XML editor
supports some graphical helpers to easily create an XML doc). I am also
talking about new users who are not familiar with Java. So having an
XSD/DTD that they can easily reference in their XML editor would give them
a good "guide" on how to structure the Mondrian schema. After working with
XSD/DTD a few times, the user will get comfortable writing OLAP schema by
hand.
(2) For seasoned users a XSD/DTD is still useful just as a quick
validation.
(3) It might be a good idea to have a public reference to each version of
the XSD/DTD. So instead of asking users to download the XSD/DTD, you can
ask them to just do this:
<!DOCTYPE Schema PUBLIC "
http://ci.pentaho.com/view/Analysis/job/mondrian-4.0/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/lib/mondrian.dtd"

... I am not too sure if this a permanent location.

If you are wondering why I am talking about all this ... here is the link
to the blog post I am currently working on:
Mondrian 4 Blog Post
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18_A72AR61wN2pMm59LNDLwYWefJt9nplKsROYz5jrFY/edit

Please note that this tutorial is targeted at users not familiar with Java.
Any feedback is appreciated!