[Mondrian] perforce.eigenbase.org guest account change

John V. Sichi jsichi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 17:56:24 EDT 2008

Perforce discriminates three levels of access:  read (can sync files),
open (can open files for edit), and write (can submit files).

Up until now, we've granted the guest account "open" access, since this
can be very convenient for non-committers to check out files, diff them,
maintain private edits, and then submit patches based on them.

Unfortunately, it's too easy for those not well-acquainted with the
Perforce model to check out every single file in the depot, which is A
Bad Thing Indeed.

I'm in the process of deleting all guest clients where this has
happened, and reducing guest access from open to read.

If you need guest access with the ability to open files for edit, I've
created a separate account named considerate_guest; contact me and I can
provide the password.

JVS