[Mondrian] Mondrian Tests hang on Rhel-7.2

Julian Hyde julianhyde at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 17:45:11 EST 2016

The lagunitas branch (4.6) is very unforgiving if you have an error in the setup of the underlying database. We need to fix this.

The problem is that the test suite does not print errors until the very end. Behind the scenes each test case generates an error stack, and that error stack uses up memory, and the test suite hangs due to lack of memory, never gets to finish, so never gets to print out the error stacks that would give you a clue how to fix the problem.

To solve it, we should obsolete the mondrian.test.Main class (which buffers test output until the end) and run the tests directly using maven-surefire-plugin. And we need to run the tests by default on an embedded hsqldb instance. With those two changes, anyone will be able to download, build, and test using just

$ git clone …
$ cd mondrian
$ mvn install

Upgrading to junit 4 would also be good.

There are a few test failures (maybe 25 out of 3,000) but I don’t believe any of them is a serious issue, and in fact most are simple bit-rot.

Julian