[Mondrian] Help with sort of large dimension and calculated members

Joshua Diamond diamond.joshh at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:26:53 EDT 2015

Hi,

Thanks for letting me join this list. I joined because I'm having a problem
that no amount of research has been able to solve.
Here's my specs:
Analyzer: Saiku 2.6 CE
mondrian-3.8.0.0-209.jar
database: MySql
Attached is my schema.
Attached are my mondrian properties.

my fact table is roughly 500,000 rows.
my largest dimension table is my CandidatesDim dimension is 50,000 rows.

When ever I try to run a query like the following, mondrian generates
hundreds of sql querries and even if I set my query timeout property to
something ridiculous, it never finishes.
SELECT
NON EMPTY Hierarchize(Union(CrossJoin({[OfficeDim.OfficeHier].[U.S.
President]}, CrossJoin([PartyDim.PartyHier].[Party].Members,
{[Measures].[VotesDisplay]})), CrossJoin({[OfficeDim.OfficeHier].[U.S.
President]}, CrossJoin([PartyDim.PartyHier].[Party].Members,
{[Measures].[Percentage]})))) ON COLUMNS,
NON EMPTY CrossJoin([GeoDim.GeoHier].[State].Members,
[CandidatesDim.CandidatesHier].[Candidate].Members) ON ROWS
FROM [ElectionResults]
WHERE {[CycleDim.CycleHier].[General].[2012 General]}

The problem seems to happen whenever I have more than one dimension on an
axis and more than one measure.

If I run this query it finishes in 3 seconds:
SELECT
NON EMPTY CrossJoin({[OfficeDim.OfficeHier].[U.S. President]},
CrossJoin([PartyDim.PartyHier].[Party].Members, {[Measures].[Percentage]}))
ON COLUMNS,
NON EMPTY CrossJoin([GeoDim.GeoHier].[State].Members,
[CandidatesDim.CandidatesHier].[Candidate].Members) ON ROWS
FROM [ElectionResults]
WHERE {[CycleDim.CycleHier].[General].[2012 General]}

I've tried almost every combination of mondrian properties. I've tried
setting saiku.olap.convert.query = true. I've created aggregate tables that
never got used.

What am I doing wrong? Is this just a mondrian 3.x issue that I'm forced to
live with? I'm open to any thoughts you all might have.

Thank you so much for your help.

Josh

--
Joshua Diamond