[Mondrian] Branching Cheat Sheet

Luc Boudreau lucboudreau at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:27:08 EDT 2015

Mondrian devs,

We've noticed that there is some confusion about branches and which to send
pull requests against. As a reminder, here's the quick cheat sheet.

-master-
This is the main 3.X code line. All new features and bug fixes are checked
into this branch for inclusion in the next 3.X release.

-lagunitas-
This is the main 4.X code line. All new features and bug fixes are checked
into this branch for inclusion in the next 4.X release.

-3.x, 4.x-
When a new release is cut from master, we create a tag (3.x.0.0-R) then
create a branch (3.x). These are the backport branches. Some of the work we
do on master gets backported and we release these fixes against these
releases.

-3.x.x, 4.x.x-
When we release a backport from the minor 3.X branches, we repeat the same
process. This allows us to maintain even minor releases with important
fixes.

As someone who wants to build a particular release, or if you'd like to
submit a patch for a given release, the tags are the simplest way.

Hope this helps

Luc