[Mondrian] Mondrian 4 - Unsupported properties?

Roland Bouman roland.bouman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 05:01:19 EDT 2015

Ingo, Luc,

sorry to interrupt but there is something that is not clear to me.

Ingo you wrote:

"we found the line in the source code, that breaks the XMLA call. Apparently
in Mondrian 3.x  This call was made in a different class and passed false
instead of true as parameter."

But the links you provide both point to Mondrian 4 source, 4.2 and 4.3
respectively.

The relevant implementation of getProperties in MondrianOlap4jLevel looks
identical in both 4.2 and 4.3:

https://github.com/pentaho/mondrian/blob/4.2/src/main/java/mondrian/olap4j/MondrianOlap4jLevel.java#L98
https://github.com/pentaho/mondrian/blob/4.3/src/main/java/mondrian/olap4j/MondrianOlap4jLevel.java#L98

and so do the calls to getProperties in MondrianOlap4jExtra:

https://github.com/pentaho/mondrian/blob/4.2/src/main/java/mondrian/olap4j/MondrianOlap4jExtra.java#L320
https://github.com/pentaho/mondrian/blob/4.3/src/main/java/mondrian/olap4j/MondrianOlap4jExtra.java#L320

Ingo, can you track back and verify where you made the change exactly?
Since if this part of the code is identical and worked in an earlier
version then it would seem the cause is somewhere else.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Ingo Klose <Ingo.Klose at incuda.com> wrote:

> Hello Luc,
>
> Thanks for the answer, but to be honest I have no direct access to nor any
> knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services.
>
> All I know is that the tool that we try to use to connect Microsoft Excel
> (XMLAConnect) has a problem with Mondrian 4 because this  method is
> implemented differently between Mondrian 3.X and Mondrian 4. At this point
> me and Tom are trying to figure out the reason for this change and if it is
> reversible or what consequences that might have.
>
> Since we are going through Saiku as the "Server" we have another level in
> which we might be able to handle the problem, but it would be good to
> understand it better, especially from the Mondrian point of view.
>
> Best regards,
> Ingo
>

> Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 09:36:40 -0400
> From: Luc Boudreau <lucboudreau at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Mondrian] Mondrian 4 - Unsupported properties?
>
> I'm not sure that the solution is without consequences. According to the
> javadocs of the XmlaExtra interface:
>
>         /**
>
>          * Returns the defined properties of a level. (Not including system
>
>          * properties that every level has.)
>
>          *
>
>          * @param level Level
>
>          * @return Defined properties
>
>          */
>
>         List<Property> getLevelProperties(Level level);
>

> Have you tried similar calls on Microsoft Sql Server Analysis Services? We
> shold compare their implementation with ours.

Roland Bouman
blog: http://rpbouman.blogspot.com/
twitter: @rolandbouman
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=5142800&trk=tab_pro

Author of "Pentaho Solutions" (Wiley, ISBN: 978-0-470-48432-6
http://tinyurl.com/lvxa88) and "Pentaho Kettle Solutions" (Wiley, ISBN:
978-0-470-63517-9 http://tinyurl.com/33r7a8m)