[Mondrian] Properties VS multiple member captions

Roland Bouman roland.bouman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:02:53 EDT 2015

"This is why I was wondering if maybe it might be a good idea to have a
feature that allows the definition of more than one caption per level. "

Well, "the Caption" is simply a property. An intrinsic one, but still, only
a property. There's nothing that says how it should be used.
Although most tool vendors take the hint and use it for a label in the UI :)
So, what difference does it make what property you use to fill that label?
it's up to the tool really.

If you like you can create custom properties called Caption1, Caption2,
...etc. and then you basically have what you want.
One could perhaps imagine an additional array data type, and a special MDX
accessor that does: Member.Properties("Captions").Item(1) or something like
that, but it doesn't really add more functionality.

(For the record, I am not proposing such a feature should be created - on
the contrary!)

I guess I'm saying, you already have what you want. All you need is user
input that tells you which properties the end user would like to use as
labels in the UI/output.

Best regards,

Roland

Roland