[Mondrian] Possible race condition in 3.6.x SegmentCacheManager/Actor?

Joe Barnett thejoe at gmail.com
Fri May 9 12:53:25 EDT 2014

A little more progress here, as I've been able to narrow down the cause:

A query is executing while MondrianServer#shutdown() is called.  That query
ends up queuing a SegmentCacheManager$PeekCommand after the shutdown
invocation queues a SegmentCacheManager$ShutdownCommand.  The Actor thread
processes the eventQueue in order, sees the ShutdownCommand, and exits its
loop.  Meanwhile, the eventQueue still holds a reference to the
PeekCommand, and the query execution thread is still waiting on a response
in the responseMap to the PeekCommand that it submitted.

I'm going to look into modifying the Actor such that it will:
a) make sure to not accept any new execute() commands after it sees a
ShutdownCommand (this may already be the case?), and
b) fully flush the queue before exiting its loop

There may be some lifecycle stuff to look into as well (or instead of?) in
our application code, possibly making it such that we wait until all query
threads are done before shutting down the MondrianServer, as we generally
get a new connection/MondrianServer while old queries may be executing
against the old one, and ideally those queries would be allowed to fully
execute before fully shutting things down.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Joe