[Mondrian] Pure mondrian server

Peter Gillard-Moss pgillard at thoughtworks.com
Mon Mar 31 14:58:12 EDT 2014

We found the install docs a little of date as per Mondrian issue #202
https://github.com/pentaho/mondrian/issues/202

We did a small spike of how to get an XMLA server up and running with the
derby food mart db.  You can find it here:
https://github.com/ThoughtWorksInc/mondrian-xmla-spike

There are some holes, like some stuff is hardcoded but it works well and is
self contained.

On 31 March 2014 17:02, Andy Grohe <agrohe21 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't there already an Xmla server ready to use without extending?  I know
> that used to be part of mondrian but was split out.
>
> On the client side, assuming a JavaScript environment, I recommend xmla4js.
> On Mar 31, 2014 10:38 AM, "Luc Boudreau" <lucboudreau at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You'll have to give us more details on what you mean by "server".
>>
>> The usual way to have a shared Mondrian server is to use mondrian and
>> olap4j-xmla. One is the server side, the other is the client. The server is
>> a servlet which takes SOAP messages over HTTP, using XMLA as the protocol.
>>
>> To get started, you create a servlet class which extends
>> MondrianXmlaServlet and you override createConnectionFactory.
>> Alternatively, for more control, you can override makeCatalogLocator,
>> makeDatasourcesUrl and makeContentFinder. For even more control, extend
>> DefaultXmlaServlet.
>>
>> Once that's done, create a small webapp, put the servlet config
>> parameters in your web.xml and you'll be set on the server side.
>>
>> Client side, there are plenty of snippets and demo code out there. (
>> https://code.google.com/p/olap4j-demo/source/browse/trunk/src/org/devdonkey/olap4j/demo/XmlaDriverConnectDemo.java
>>  )
>>
>> Let us know if you need more help.
>>
>> Luc
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Shan Huang <openhuangs at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> How to deploy a pure mondrian server *without* JPivot or other
>>> front-end ?
>>>
>>> I want a lightweghted olap server with simple olap4j interface. Is
>>> mondrian the right choice?

Peter Gillard-Moss
Developer | ThoughtWorks | TechOps
http://www.thoughtworks.com