[Mondrian] are readTuple queries really necessary ?

Arvindkumar J j.arvindkumar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 02:42:11 EST 2014

Hi All,

I have a query regarding SQL query generation.

For each MDX query, mondrian fires set of readTuple queries and
segment.load queries.
I understand that readTuple queries are used to populate the axes and
segment load queries to populate the cell values. So usually there are more
readTuple queries compared to segment.load queries.

Why can't we avoid the readTuple queries in case where the predicates are
fixed ?
(i know we can't avoid in-case the predicates are like [Product].children
).
Instead, we can populate the axes from the input predicates and filtering
of tuples with 0 values can be doneter the segment load queries.

The reason i'm asking this is the readTuple queries are taking major part
of the query time. And i notice these queries are on fact tables. Are these
queries supposed to be on fact tables or only dimension tables ?

Please correct me if my understanding is not correct.

Thanks
Arvind