[Mondrian] Course grained measure groups

Matt Campbell mcampbell at pentaho.com
Wed Feb 26 09:04:50 EST 2014

Julian,
I'm trying to get a handle on how course grained measure groups work in
Mondrian 4.  The example in Mondrian in Action describes the scenario
where measures in one group are at day level, while in another group
they're at month level.  The schema snippet shows a compound foreign key
link with the_year and month_of_year, with attribute specified as 'Month'.

A couple questions:
1)  The book says the value at the day level for the course MG should be
"inherited".  What's the mechanism for that?  How do we avoid incorrect
rollups?  I was having trouble seeing where in the code that's handled.
2)  If the join to the time dimension uses the_year & month_of_year,
won't measure values be inflated by the number of days?  I.e. since the
dim table will repeat the month_of_year value for each day in the month.

Multi-granularity is something I've been interested in for awhile, and
some questions about it on the forum prompted me to dig a little.

Thanks,
matt