[Mondrian] Query Cancelling in Mondrian

Matt Campbell mcampbell at pentaho.com
Mon Aug 11 10:52:48 EDT 2014

Hi Loren,

The Microsoft XMLA extension supports multiple levels of cancelling:  statement cancelling, session, connection.  Cancelling a whole session would clear out any SESSION scoped members or sets in SSAS.  Assuming Mondrian used the Microsoft extension, I think one of the big questions would be what constitutes the "session", and how to uniquely identify it.  Can we move in a direction where we have something like actual session support?  Or is the 90% use case simply cancelling MDX queries, implying we should keep as simple a notion of session as possible (i.e. a session corresponds to 1 query only).  Either way, what mechanism manages the session?

On another topic, I'm assuming you're needing these changes for Mondrian 3.  With Mondrian 4, the xmlaserver has been split out as a separate olap4j project<https://github.com/olap4j/olap4j-xmlaserver>.  Unfortunately M3 is not yet using this new project.  I would think any changes to support XMLA cancel should be done in the olap4j project, so it may force us to bite the bullet and switch M3 over as well.

-matt