[Mondrian] Mondrian system metrics via JMX

Yim, Andrew andrew.yim at truvenhealth.com
Tue Apr 29 12:26:22 EDT 2014

Hi Matt,

This is great and we'll definitely look into utilizing this feature as we're headed towards using JMX as a monitoring tool for all our applications.

However, you have a question below that we're definitely interested in, specifically "What MDX query generated what SQL queries?".  We attempted to do this by hooking Mondrian with SLF4j/Logback and setting the MDC parameter with each request.  We were hoping when we logged MDX and SQL queries we could capture the MDC parameter we set (which is thread-safe), but since the MDX & SQL is executed in a separate thread pool this is not working as we expected.

There are a few methods that we also tried using programmatically in the MondrianServer monitor, specifically "getSqlStatements()", but whenever we called this the Map was already cleared.  It seems after each SQL query executes, it immediately clears itself from the Map.  I assume that this is done on purpose to manage memory consumption.

If there could be a vote for getting this type of enhancement added to the monitor sooner, we would definitely be in favor!

Have you heard of any implementation ideas on this or if something is in the works?

Andrew Yim   |   Truven Health Analytics   |   O: 734.913.3174   |    M: 734.347.8669