[Mondrian] ADOMD.Net/SSRS incompatible changes

Luc Boudreau lucboudreau at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:02:13 EDT 2014

Hey Tiago,

Thanks for the write up. I've been waiting a long time for this. This is
very cool work that your team has done.

My comments are below.

Luc

 - xmlns prefixes (xmla and cxmla) were removed for adomd

This could cause a lot of problems. Have you tried the olap4j XMLA driver
without the namespaces? I suspect that it will break apart. Maybe this
should be also a property.

 - Full hierarchy names

Isn't this functionally equivalent to mondrian.olap.SsasCompatibleNaming?
The way you've described it, it sounds like a part of the code in mondrian
doesn't honor the value of that property. If you found a place in the code
where this property, once set to true, still doesn't affect the output of
unique names and the hierarchy isn't added to the unique name, we should
probably fix it there.

 - MONDRIAN-1991 - Members by key.

There are clear rules in the MDX specs when resolving names. Is this
compatible with Excel as well as SSAS? (Was mondrian the only one which
differed on this?) This should probably also be controlled by
mondrian.olap.SsasCompatibleNaming.

Note that all the changes related to the SsasCompatibleNaming property
become the standard in mondrian 4.X. As of now, mondrian 4 behaves as if it
was mondrian 3 with the property on. As a matter of fact, there isn't a
property anymore. It will remove some complexity in the code and should be
easier to merge.

 - MONDRIAN-1993 - Xmla exceptions

I don't think we should use a property for this. The only way I think would
work nicely is if we send back the correct message according to the client.
If we use a property, we can only serve either Excel, or everyone else, but
not both. That would be very unfortunate.