[Mondrian] [Olap4j-devel] olap4j-xmlaserver: Initial refactoring of Mondrian's XMLA server into its own project

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Sat Sep 28 12:36:39 EDT 2013

On Sep 28, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Benedikt Kämpgen <benedikt.kaempgen at kit.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was able to connect xmla4js [1] to xmlaserver [2] using the olap4j [3]
> driver olap4ld [4]. Many thanks to Julian Hyde, Roland Bouman, Michele
> Rossi and many others for their effort in creating those interoperable
> olap components.

You are welcome. Good to know that it all works.

> I am wondering whether it would be possible
> to keep track of sessions, i.e., xmla requests issued by the same user
> in the same usage period.

XMLA is designed to be stateless, so naturally the requests don't carry session information. We could do something like adding optional attributes, and requiring all the layers in the stack to pass these attributes on over the various component boundaries. However, there are a lot of moving parts to change.

So, how about something low-tech like adding a session id to the query inside a comment?

SELECT /* $session: 1234 */ [Measures] on 0, ...

The query will pass unchanged through the various components. You can parse it out of the logs using awk + sed technology.