[Mondrian] Excel & XMLA & Mondrian

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Fri Nov 1 18:58:14 EDT 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 8:49 AM, Wim G <dev at noipex.com> wrote:

> So here is the question:
> 1) What is the best place to get more info on what is supported and what
> is not (I guess http://mondrian.pentaho.com/documentation/ ?)

This is an open source project, so nothing is "supported". If you want to buy support, a Pentaho subscription is recommended.

We try to write documentation, but you know how it is. If you want to figure out what is supposed to work, read the unit tests. In this case, XmlaBasicTest.ref.xml and other files in the same directory are worth a look.

> 2) What is the best place to ask questions if my friend Google doesn't
> bring me the answer

You guessed it. First google, then this list.

Then we might ask you to log a jira case for missing/broken functionality.

> 3) If something is not supported, would you find it beneficial if I
> improve the code to support it ?

Yes, we love contributions (especially when they conform to coding standards and are accompanied by test cases). If it's something major or controversial, ping the list first, so you don't end up wasting effort. Then submit a github pull request.

> I ask the last question because I noticed that open source doesn't
> always mean that the developers like outsiders meddling with their code :)

Yeah, I know those kind of projects. :)