[Mondrian] Discussion about drill through

Matt Campbell mcampbell at pentaho.com
Thu Jun 6 14:26:36 EDT 2013

Regarding aggregation:  I've been doing some research into how Analysis Services 2005+ handles drillthrough.  SSAS returns drillthrough results at the lowest granularity of the cube, not necessarily the detail fact rows.  I believe they did this in part because they wanted drillthrough in MOLAP mode to not require SQL queries, and also because it avoided potential security issues.  Microsoft has some design tips they offer to get drillthrough at a lower grain-e.g. define an alternate measure group at a lower granularity and use it as the target for drillthrough.  By default, though, results are rolled up at the granularity of the attributes in the measure group being queried.

That said, it seems like most people would expect drillthrough to bring back the lowest level of detail available, which for Mondrian would be unaggregated fact rows.