[Mondrian] Mondrian on maven -- experimental!

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Wed Jul 3 15:51:28 EDT 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 3:42 AM, Paul Stoellberger <p.stoellberger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice, I thought you really disliked maven...

Not "dislike". The cost:benefit ratio wasn't right. Plus, tool support is only just maturing.

> I'm aware that some "custom" tasks in the build process are not (that easy) possible with maven, but overall I'm a big fan because its much simpler than using ant.
> For some stuff I still run ant tasks (zip'ing, moving, etc.. ) but overall a pom.xml is much better to read than the build.xml + subfloor stuff that we have in place.

Yeah, subfloor has implemented a substantial part of maven. Still, the good news is that all pentaho projects use the maven repo format, so potentially individual projects could be upgraded to maven without affecting others.

> I just tried to run it but saw that the source tree is still not reworked properly.
> Let me know when you made some progress, I'm happy to test etc.!

AFAIK, the source tree is in the right place. (E.g. testsrc/main is now src/test/java.) It's just that certain files (e.g. MondrianDef.java) are not being generated.

What further rework is needed?

Probably won't do any further work on this until we have a green light from Pentaho devops. (It would be too much pain merging between branches.) That will definitely not happen until Pentaho 5 ships. May not happen before Pentaho 5.1 / Mondrian 4.