[Mondrian] Mondrian on maven -- experimental!

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Mon Jul 1 16:36:09 EDT 2013

I've been using maven a lot on other projects, and I like how it simplifies the build process and dependency management. (There are some things that maven makes almost impossible... so you just don't do them... and this simplifies the build process!)

I especially like how you can just open a pom.xml file in intellij and you're ready to go. It even downloads the source of all dependent libraries.

I created an experimental branch that uses maven to build mondrian. https://github.com/pentaho/mondrian/tree/maven

A few important points:

1. The maven build doesn't fully work. Tasks for xom, resgen, and properties aren't there yet. The few classes that need to be built under JDK 1.5 or 1.6 are just ignored. The test suite, run automatically as part of "mvn install", fails all over the place.

2. We won't move to this process before Mondrian 4. Maybe never.

3. When we do move to this process, we might have to rebuild it based on where the code is at that time. (See details in http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/MONDRIAN-1646.)