[Mondrian] Deprecating Member Ordinal

Nicholas Goodman ngoodman at bayontechnologies.com
Mon Jan 14 15:32:50 EST 2013

> Here is a reference to Microsoft deprecating and always returning Zero.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms126046.aspx See the entry for MEMBER_ORDINAL.
So the deprecation is in the OLE DB rowset specification which MSFT exposes through to XMLA.  Arrrgghhh; eff the powers that be for not actually keeping up XMLA.

> The reference document that you linked to is for the Ordinal function on a Level.  That is different from the "Member Ordinal" property which is exposed through XMLA using MDSchema_Members, or through OLAP4J.  There should not be any changes needed to MDX queries as a result of this change.  The MDX functions that depend on ordering will return the same values as before.  It should only affect you if you are using the Mondrian API, the OLAP4J API, or XMLA directly.  The primary motivation is that it is expensive internally for Mondrian to compute the correct Ordinal values.  Usages of the ordinal value inside Mondrian will be refactored to use the "Order Key" instead.  External usages of the "Member Ordinal" property through the API would also need to be refactored to use the Order Key
Yeah... of course you're right on the link above.  Case of the Mondays I think.  :)

Assuming they produce functionally identical and correct results (and that for times when needed they are computed for API or MDX fcns) why change the name?  Do they produce different (eeeks) values for the same Member?

Are you suggesting adding a .getOrderKey() to org.olap4j.metadata.Member and that Mondrian's OLAP4J implementation is is a lazy request to calculate the int that would be identical to getOrdinal()?  If that's not right, can you make your API and implementation change more specific?

It is a relief that MDX should not be affected (save any regressions with the internal refactoring).  That is, of course, the most important.  I was nearly certain that MEMBER_ORDINAL was an intrinsic property of Members in MDX but just looked, and lo and behold it's been removed as well.  Looks like SQL Server 2000 was the last release to have it (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa216757%28v=sql.80%29.aspx)

Nick