[Mondrian] Drillthrough column order

Luc Boudreau lucboudreau at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:38:32 EST 2013

When the return clause is omitted, SSAS does not return the rows in any
particular order, except that it will group the columns by groups of keys.
ie, the following MDX:

*DRILLTHROUGH
SELECT
   { [Measures].[Store Sales]} on AXIS (0),
   { [Product].[Food].[Frozen Foods]} on AXIS (1),
   { [Time].[Year].[1997] } on AXIS (2)
FROM
   [SALES]*

...returns store_sales, store_name, store_city, store_state, store_country,
the_date, and so on. Notice that the store-related columns are together.

When the RETURN clause is used, we should definitely return the columns in
that order.

Luc