[Mondrian] Efficient JSON representation for "XMLA" responses

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Tue Sep 18 18:44:29 EDT 2012

Paul,

On IRC yesterday you said there was a more efficient JSON representation of XMLA responses than the one implemented in olap4j-xmlaserver (formerly Mondrian's XMLA server).

There are some examples in XmlaBasicTest [ see https://raw.github.com/pentaho/mondrian/master/testsrc/main/mondrian/xmla/XmlaBasicTest.ref.xml and search for "Json" ]. One is

"cxmla:DiscoverResponse": {
  "xmlns:cxmla": "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis",
  "cxmla:return": {
    "root": {
      "xmlns": "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis:rowset",
      "xmlns:xsi": "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance",
      "xmlns:xsd": "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema",
      "xmlns:EX": "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis:exception",
      "row": [
        {
          "CATALOG_NAME": "FoodMart",
          "SCHEMA_NAME": "FoodMart",
          "CUBE_NAME": "HR",
          "CUBE_TYPE": "CUBE",
          "LAST_SCHEMA_UPDATE": "xxxx-xx-xxTxx:xx:xx",
          "IS_DRILLTHROUGH_ENABLED": true,
          "IS_WRITE_ENABLED": false,
          "IS_LINKABLE": false,
          "IS_SQL_ENABLED": false,
          "CUBE_CAPTION": "HR",
          "DESCRIPTION": "FoodMart Schema - HR Cube"
        },
        {
          "CATALOG_NAME": "FoodMart",
          "SCHEMA_NAME": "FoodMart",
          "CUBE_NAME": "Sales",
          "CUBE_TYPE": "CUBE",
          "LAST_SCHEMA_UPDATE": "xxxx-xx-xxTxx:xx:xx",
          "IS_DRILLTHROUGH_ENABLED": true,
          "IS_WRITE_ENABLED": false,
          "IS_LINKABLE": false,
          "IS_SQL_ENABLED": false,
          "CUBE_CAPTION": "Sales",
          "DESCRIPTION": "FoodMart Schema - Sales Cube"
        },

and there's another that returns nested metadata (cubes, dimensions, hierarchies, etc.) and another that returns a cell set.

I'm open to making this more concise and "json-like" as long as there is a clear mapping from the XMLA spec. (If we depart from the spec entirely we're back in the wild west, where clients can only rely on their own server.) If you have some ideas please propose them.

Julian

Julian Hyde
jhyde at pentaho.com<mailto:jhyde at pentaho.com>