[Mondrian] MonetDB: Mondrian Foodmart Loader, NUMERIC/DECIMAL, and MDX results

Brandon Jackson usbrandon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:32:52 EDT 2012

This is a screenshot from SquirrelSQL showing the Key IDs with a type of
"INT" and the columns used as measures using "DECIMAL".

In case it is helpful, here was the command I issued to get foodmart to

java -cp
mondrian.test.loader.MondrianFoodMartLoader -verbose -tables -data
-outputJdbcURL="jdbc:monetdb://localhost/foodmart" -outputJdbcUser=monetdb

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Luc Boudreau <lucboudreau at gmail.com> wrote:

> It could be that MonetDB returns a type for the cell columns that Mondrian
> doesn't expect or wrongfully maps to a different datatype. By setting it
> manually, you are forcing Mondrian to use a specific datatype and thus
> bypass the problem.
> We don't have a dialect specific to MonetDB. We might have to create one,
> but
data types are not handled by the dialects.
> Can you tell us which is the column type returned by the JDBC metadata for
> these columns? (should be an integer)
> Luc
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Brandon Jackson <usbrandon at gmail.com>wrote:
>> I was able to load MonetDB with foodmart using the foodmart loader.  I
>> noticed that when the tables were created some of the columns had the
>> NUMERIC data type.  Everything loaded correctly.  Any SQL queries that I
>> issued doing SUM etc through Squirrel and the relevant JDBC driver worked
>> fine.
>> Mondrian 3.X included with Suite 4.5 issues proper SQL against MonetDB,
>> but the measure results come back as 0 in every query I tried.
>> When I changed the data types to DOUBLE or FLOAT, Mondrian's queries
>> finally show correct results.
>> Where should I look to understand where this problem is entering the
>> picture?
>> I don't know why SquirrelSQL receives and shows a table of correct
>> results, while Mondrian does not.  So far, by process of elimination:
>> Not at fault:
>> JDBC Driver (because SquirrelSQL  uses it and gets correct results)
>> MonetDB (because direct queries work)
>> At fault:
>> Mondrian somewhere...
>> ---
>> Is this a sound way to look at the problem?
>> Would running the test suite against MonetDB give sufficient information
>> to fix this problem?
>> Is a database dialect what prevents these kinds of issues?
>> If I can receive a little guidance where to check and what needs to be
>> done, maybe I can even trace into this issue.
>> Thanks,
>> Brandon
>> _______________________________________________
>> Mondrian mailing list
>> Mondrian at pentaho.org
>> http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian
> _______________________________________________
> Mondrian mailing list
> Mondrian at pentaho.org
> http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.pentaho.org/pipermail/mondrian/attachments/20121025/00edc649/attachment-0001.html 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: MonetDB-Column_Metadata.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 408967 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.pentaho.org/pipermail/mondrian/attachments/20121025/00edc649/attachment-0001.jpg 

More information about the Mondrian mailing list