[Mondrian] Annotations

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Fri Oct 5 14:07:40 EDT 2012

On Oct 5, 2012, at 9:58 AM, Roland Bouman <roland.bouman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I always thought it was a nice idea to have dimension types, just like
> described here for XML/A

> and I noticed you have it too in olap4j:
>
> http://www.olap4j.org/api/org/olap4j/metadata/Dimension.Type.html
>
> Would the annotation feature be suitable to convey this type of information?
> If so, then maybe this would be a good opportunity to establish this convention.

This is already in Mondrian, using the type attribute of the Dimension element. For example,

    <Dimension name='Time' table='time_by_day' type='TimeDimension' key='Time Id'>

(This is a mondrian-4 format, but the Dimension.type attribute exists in previous versions also.)

Generally speaking, if there is already an official XML attribute in the Mondrian schema, don't add an annotation to do the same thing.