[Mondrian] UnionRole and explicit / implicit rules

Paul Stoellberger p.stoellberger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 12:24:24 EST 2012

But the overall result of what I'm seeing is still confusing/incosistent:

So the 2 roles:
"No HR Cube"
- Schema grant "all"
- Cube grant "HR" "none"

California manager
- Schema grant none
  Cube grant Sales all
  Hierarchy grant store
 	- topLevel="[Store].[Store Country]",
	- member grant "Los Angeles" NONE

1) SchemaGrant : all and none => "all" is applied
2) Cube grant: HR none + "all" from schema are applied => between  "just showing Sales" and "all but HR" we see "all but HR" since both roles dont see this cube on its own
3) Hierarchy grant
	topLevel = Store Country => we see this as toplevel, although the other role would see all levels, not consistent with your described approach
4) MemberGrant "Los Angeles" NONE => we see this member, because "No HR Cube" role can see this member, consistent with your described approach again

So especially 3 is at least "wrong" from my POV.

If we really "union" all => least restrictive, it is quite hard to define fine-grained data access without having a lot of roles that all include every detail of the cube (each role would have to include all grant objects).
Is the only way to have this a programmatic role that knows about all that? (Well I guess a DSP would work too)

I think it should either a) use the most permissive b) the most restrictive c) overrule implicit with explicit rules

The people I talked to about this today had a similar views. No matter which one of the above it should do.. it should at least be consistent.

I guess I can always create my own role that delivers what I need, but I think it makes sense to discuss the current implementation first.

-Paul