[Mondrian] Building Mondrian using a single JDK

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Fri Nov 9 02:34:55 EST 2012

I've just checked in an experimental branch that will build Mondrian using whatever JDK (1.5, 1.6 or 1.7) is available. No need to edit buildOnJdk.sh to set up multiple JDKs.

The gory details are as follows. Mondrian still needs to build JDBC drivers that work for the JDBC 3.0, 4.0 and 4.1 specifications, and these only build against the JDK 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 runtime libraries. So, the trick is that Mondrian gets copies of the 1.5 and 1.6 libraries via ivy, rather than requiring you to install these JDKs. There will be a largish download the first time you run 'ant', then the libraries will be cached. The other compromise is that if you want to build a release (i.e. a mondrian.jar that other people will use), you have to build it under JDK 1.7. Older JDKs cannot build the 1.7-dependent parts of Mondrian's source tree.

Any volunteers to try this? I'd like to know whether it works on other people's environments.

$ git clone git at github.com:pentaho/mondrian.git
$ cd mondrian
$ git checkout singleJdk
$ ant clean
$ ant

When a few people have said that it works, I'll integrate this change into the lagunitas branch and it will be the standard environment for mondrian-4 development.

Julian

Julian Hyde
jhyde at pentaho.com