[Mondrian] scenarios

Paul Stoellberger p.stoellberger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 08:44:09 EST 2012

Julian,

I just saw your recent commit in lagunitas about scenarios and I have 2 questions:

1) do we still have to manually define a scenario dimension / hierarchy (I see we have to have 1 hierarchy called "Scenario" in the code) in the schema?
In the old schema format we added something like:

<Dimension name='Scenario' foreignKey='time_id'>
<Hierarchy primaryKey='time_id' hasAll='true'>
<InlineTable alias='_dummy'>
<ColumnDefs>
<ColumnDef name='foo' type='Numeric'/>
</ColumnDefs>
<Rows/>
</InlineTable>
<Level name='Scenario' column='foo'/>
</Hierarchy>
</Dimension>

I remember you talked about improved hanger dimension support in Mondrian 4?
It would be great if this were a property on the cube instead of introducing such a dummy dimension.
<Cube scenarioEnabled="true"> and the rest would be automatic. Makes it easier for people to try it.

Also this hanger dimension seems to cause some troubles on the drill through (thats why we enable only either drillthrough or scenarios) because of the generated SQL

2) Whats your plan on improvements? We would be happy to work on this together and at least expose it nicely in saiku.
I think it would be easy to persist scenarios in our query files as well, by saving the cell's tuples and new values so it can be "applied" again.
Its a great feature and people seem to like it so we should take this to the next level and make it a real feature!

-Paul