[Mondrian] olap4j-xmlaserver: Initial refactoring of Mondrian's XMLA server into its own project

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Fri Aug 31 20:19:22 EDT 2012

I've been promising for a long time to factor the XMLA server code out of Mondrian. At last I've done it: see https://github.com/julianhyde/olap4j-xmlaserver.

For now, the code is just a clone of the mondrian.xmla package (from the lagunitas branch that will become mondrian-4.0). I've also copied in some other classes (e.g. mondrian.olap.Util) that the XMLA server depends upon.

I achieved the initial goal: it builds. (It builds using maven; I'm sure there will be a mixture of loathing and adulation for this.)

Next step will be to eliminate the dependencies on intrinsic mondrian classes like MondrianServer and MondrianProperties. I'll do this by adding methods to the XmlaExtra callback. A few utility classes (e.g. CompositeList) will be copied (i.e. will have versions in both Mondrian and olap4j-xmlaserver).

Then I'll change mondrian lagunitas branch to use this library, remove the mondrian.xmla package, and then rename the mondrian.xmla package in olap4j-xmlaserver to something like org.olap4j.xmla.server. The test suite will probably remain part of mondrian for a few months.

The mondrian master branch, and the mondrian-3.4.x release series, will not see this change; they will continue to use the mondrian.xmla package.

Since the code is cloned from Mondrian, the license is the same as Mondrian -- EPL. If I can get the original committers to agree, I would like to switch to Apache 2 license.

Let me know what you think. Get involved. Discussions will be on the mondrian mailing list.

By the way, let me know whether you like the project name and package namespace. They're all up for change at this point. And the github project may move, too.

Julian

Julian Hyde
jhyde at pentaho.com<mailto:jhyde at pentaho.com>