[Mondrian] Mondrian cache sharing - Hacks and Proper Solutions (tm)

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Thu Aug 30 21:11:10 EDT 2012

On Aug 30, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Paul Stoellberger <p.stoellberger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think thats a good approach in general. the only issues i see are how the api is used differently within the server:
> - jpivot passes a dynamicschemaprocessor, making the schema xml part of the key
> - mdxconnection doesnt pass along all parameters defined in darasources.xml
> - saiku passes the exact connection details from datasources.xml
>
> so if there is a jdbcconnectionuuid passed thats not ensuring that the catalog part is the same as well.

Divide and conquer. We've solved the connection part (as long as each client passes in the whole mondrian connect string, which shouldn't be hard to achieve).

Now the part that determines whether the schema XML is the same. Is it not sufficient to pass UseContentChecksum=true? Then all connections will end up with the same Md5 hash of their schema.

As an added bonus, we can print the connection UUID and the schema MD5 hash into the trace log. It should make it a lot easier to figure out whether different clients are getting the same cache instance.

> i understand your concern, but i'm not too convinced we can ensure that the same keys are used regardless in which environment mondrian is used.
>
> and its too bad there wont be a fix before next spring/summer... i guess we will have to maintan a branch ourselves then...

Please, no veiled threats to fork. I'm working with you guys.