[Mondrian] Non collapsed AggLevel support in Mondrian

Nicholas Goodman ngoodman at bayontechnologies.com
Mon Oct 31 19:34:50 EDT 2011

On Oct 30, 2011, at 5:14 PM, Luc Boudreau wrote:

> aggregation table. At runtime, Mondrian will figure out the parent
> tables to join to and make sure that all the upper levels are included
> as well. In a scenario where the dimension is a web of snowflake
> dimension tables, this has the advantage of making the "brn" column
> re-usable for each dimension or hierarchy which uses it. Better yet,
> this also works with the automatic aggregate table recognizer.

Does this new feature require that the level that is the target of the "collapsed" AggLevel be a level with uniqueMembers="true" and is this enforced (or at least checked)?  ie, without this restriction I'm not sure how you'd be able to use the table to build accurate results.

- year
-- qtr
2007/Q1
2007/Q2
2007/Q3
2007/Q4
2008/Q1
2008/Q2
2008/Q3
2008/Q4

In the above case the qtr level (column) isn't unique and so if included in the aggregate table by itself, without the parent keys, it wouldn't actually allow the agg table to be used to generate accurate results.  I simply can't think of any way to generate SQL that would build accurate results unless omitting the parent keys unless uniqueMembers = "true" for that level.

Nick