[Mondrian] problems with concurrency (shepherd) execution

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Tue Oct 18 03:02:27 EDT 2011

On Oct 17, 2011, at 6:01 AM, Paul Stoellberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some users have report the below pasted bug when using saiku (mondrian 3.3-SNAPSHOT). it doesn't always appear, just sometimes.... and in some environments... i couldnt find a clear path to reproduce the problem...

I think I've seen a similar problem -- so even though it's not consistently reproducible, I'm sure there's a bug here. Can you log it please.

I might have fixed it in my current set of changes for monitoring. (I had to do quite a bit of work on connection/statement/execution lifecycle.) But it's still good to have it logged.

> My assumption is, since statement.end() is called in RolapConnection:642 (see stacktrace) that in case of an error StatementImpl throws an error because the execution hasn't finished
>
> What confuses me as well in MondrianOlap4jStatement is that this.execution is never set. only in start() and in there i cant see how that would ever work by just using that

I think start() is OK. It first ensures that the statement is not already executing, then marks it as executing by setting the 'execution' field.

But I can't think what might be cause right now.