[Mondrian] Visual folder structure

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Mon Nov 21 19:48:57 EST 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 8:32 AM, Diethard Steiner wrote:

> Hi,
> Lately I hear quite some people asking about some kind of folder structure to allow easier visual presentation of dimensions and measures (quite similar to what the Analyzer only feature AnalyzerBusinessGroup does). The idea is relatively simple: In the OLAP schema we should be able to define folders and sub-folders to better categorize dimension levels and measures.
> Now each client tool could come up with their own implementation and syntax to cover this (probably not so good), so I was wondering if this could be directly supported by Mondrian?
> Any ideas? Suggestions?

It's a good idea, and it doesn't need any explicit support from Mondrian. Just a convention for the name of the member property that should hold the folder name. However, as I said in http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/MONDRIAN-1042, I can't remember the name of the property.

Benny, What does Analyzer use?