[Mondrian] JDK 1.7

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Mon Nov 7 13:59:57 EST 2011

On Nov 7, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Julian Hyde wrote:

> I fixed this. As of perforce change 14733, mondrian can builds on JDK 1.7; and as of svn change 479, olap4j can build on JDK 1.7.

One more thing. There are indications that JDK 1.7 is quite a bit faster than JDK 1.6. It isn't exactly a benchmark, but here were the running times I measured for the Mondrian suite, running against MySQL on 64 bit ubuntu 11.10:

JDK 1.5.0_22 537s
JDK 1.6.0_24 420s
JDK 1.7.0_01 365s

You may be able to achieve similar improvements by upgrading to a recent JDK 1.6 (e.g. JDK 1.6.0_29), but still, it's good to have a reason to stay current.

It's nice that the JDK isn't like Windows or iOS, where every release seems to get slower. :)