[Mondrian] Using global dimension, but applying local level names

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Thu Nov 3 13:25:02 EDT 2011

No way to do that currently.

A few thoughts.

1. The following Mondrian feature would solve the problem. Allow details of a dimension to be changed when it is used. For example,

<DimensionUsage source='Time' name='Registration Date'>
 <Hierarchy name='Monthly Calendar'>
   <Level source='Year' caption='Registration Date - Year'/>
   <Level source='Month' caption='Registration Date - Month'/>
   <Level source='Day in Month' caption='Registration Date - Day in Month'/>
 </Hierarchy>
</DimensionUsage>

Note that this doesn't fully re-specify the dimension, just allows you to override particular metadata attributes.

If you think this would help, please log a jira case.

2. It also doesn't seem appropriate for Analyzer to assume that level names are unique within a cube. Maybe it should qualify them if the levels being displayed are not unique. Benny, what do you think?

3. A cube that has 28 uses of the same global dimension has some issues. Is this a hacky workaround to some other problem or missing feature? What's the underlying problem.

Julian