[Mondrian] XML/A support in mondrian not working

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Fri Mar 4 14:07:08 EST 2011

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 02:26:29PM +0000, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> > Caused by: mondrian.olap.MondrianException: Mondrian Error:Internal
> > error: while counting members of level '[Customers].[Name];
> sql=[select
> > count(*) from (select distinct "customer"."fullname" from
> "customer" as
> > "customer") as "init"]
>
> turns out exactly this is the problem: derby can't do
> sub-selects of the
> "select ... from (select ...)" type. doh. switched to postgres for now
> and everything is working fine.
>
> having some embedded database working for demos would be nice though,
> does anyone know of a different one that has all the features we need
> for use with mondrian?

What you are seeing is peculiar. We regularly run the whole foodmart-based
test suite against derby, and it works fine.

Mondrian knows that Derby supports 'count(distinct ...)' so the "while
counting members of level" queries are of the form 'select count(distinct x)
from ...' rather than 'select count(*) from (select distinct ...)' that you
are seeing.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue. What version of derby, mondrian
and java are you using?