[Mondrian] Parallelization of MDX queries in mondrian using OpenCL

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Wed Mar 2 14:16:30 EST 2011

> Abhishek Sharma wrote:
>
> No its about Mondrian only, sorry for the previous error. Plus we do
> have opencl bindings for java available as well known as JOCL. So with
> this scene in front of us, I repost my question, is it possible to
> parallelize MDX queries in mondrian using OpenCL??

Clearly it doesn't work at present. We have no OpenCL support whatsoever.

If would be possible to implement certain MDX functions in OpenCL, and
create Java wrappers for them using JOCL. That would be an interesting
project. I would tend to focus on the MDX functions/operators that tend to
be performance-intensive, such as Filter, Order, TopCount/BottomCount,
Crossjoin.

See http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/MONDRIAN-874 for a discussion of
parallelism. Many of the issues raised in that bug would relate to an OpenCL
implementation.