[Mondrian] Fwd: Re: xmla security header processing

Michele Rossi michele.rossi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 12:52:58 EDT 2011

hi Julian,
I've coded the connection pooling bit for the olap4j xmla servlet and I've
tested it using Excel 2007.

Basically I connect Excel 2007 to a local tomcat running the olap4j servlet
and I configure the olap4j servlet to "talk" to another remote mondrian
server using the XMLA Olap4j driver.

Some of the pool parameters are configurable via the servlet configuration.
You can change the "idle connections cleanup timeout"  (default is 5 mins)
and the max number of connections to pool per user (default is 1)

I had to create a map of "BasicDataSource" connection pools as it was the
only way I could find to create authenticated connections correctly.

I couldn't find any other way to tell the DBCP classes to group together
internally connections made for the same user.

I also had to create a "Delegating Olap Connection" because you need to
return something that implements "OlapConnection" and at the same time does
the right thing when you call "close" (returns the connection to the pool).

I had a look at creating unit tests and that seems like a fairly substantial
piece of work.
The existing testing classes are based on the MondrianOlap4jServlet.
I guess we should try to run all xmla tests against the new olap4j servlet
too.

Do you have any opinion on that?

thanks,
Michele