[Mondrian] [Olap4j-devel] connection issues with mondrianOlap4j

Marc Batchelor mbatchelor at pentaho.com
Fri Jun 10 13:48:20 EDT 2011

If you can configure your connection using DBCP in Tomcat, the resource definition does in fact allow you to identify abandoned connections:

Look at the logAbandoned, removeAbandoned, and removeAbandonedTimeout settings:

<Resource name="jdbc/SampleData" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource" maxActive="100" maxIdle="5" maxWait="10000"
        username="pentaho_user" password="xxxxxx"
        factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
        driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/sampledata"
        logAbandoned="true"
        removeAbandoned="true"
        removeAbandonedTimeout="300"
        validationQuery="/* ping */"
/>

What's nice is that when a connection is deemed abandoned, either by the reaping thread setup in the removeAbandonedTimeout, or when a finalizer kicks in on the connection instance, it will send to the log a stack dump of the code that grabbed the connection in the first place.

Marc