[Mondrian] UnexpectedRollbackException when Runtime exception is thrown

Scarlet Red scarletred10 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 14:37:22 EDT 2011

Hi all,
I'm having a hard time debugging this exception, so I hope someone here can
help :). I have a controller that calls into a service. The service attempts
to read some files from disk inside a try-catch. If I set the permissions on
those files to be chmod a-rwx (so that it can't access the files), then a
runtime exception is thrown with a message like "FileNotFoundException --
permission denied", which is caught correctly. But after this, an
"UnexpectedRollbackException" is thrown in the calling controller, even
though no database interaction is involved in this entire process. If I set
transactional=false in the controller, then the unexpected rollback
exception goes away. But I would rather not do this and would like to
understand why the exception is happening. Any ideas? Here is the actual
error message:

exception caught: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/path/to/file.extension (Permission denied)

[...other logs from the service...]

"org.springframework.transaction.UnexpectedRollbackException: Transaction
rolled back because it has been marked as rollback-only"
    at ....
    at ....
etc.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!