[Mondrian] [MDX] How to find the current hierarchy

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Thu Dec 22 14:29:47 EST 2011

On Dec 22, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Pedro Alves wrote:

> That's exactly what I want. On this case I'm interested in defining a
> measure that says the percentage of that element according to the
> total. I guess I'll have to rethink this, thanks

An idea. One could write a UDF that finds which hierarchies are displayed on some axis of the current query. "DisplayedHierarchy(Dimension)" might return the displayed hierarchy if precisely one hierarchy is on an axis; otherwise return the first hierarchy of the dimension.

I don't usually like functions like this. Like VisualTotals, it is "impure": it breaks the principle that a value depends only on the dimensional context.

The other way of looking at it is: Why are you using dimensions? Dimensions are little more than groupings of hierarchies, so you should use them for bucketing them in the UI, but not for very much else.