[Mondrian] PAGES axis, and attribute hierarchies

Benny Chow bchow at pentaho.com
Sun Aug 7 01:46:13 EDT 2011

I am thinking about this from a client MDX generation perspective so the use case I am trying to solve is where a user has an attribute (Year) on an axis (scenario A) and then wants to drill down into a Year-Quarter-Month hierarchy (scenario B) within the same dimension.

For scenario A, the axis expression would look something lile:  {[Time].[Year].Members}

Where [Time] is the dimension and [Year] is the attribute

The members that come out of this query look like: [Time].[2001], [Time].[2002] ... [Time].[2011]

For scenario B, the axis expression would look something like: {[Time].[Yr-Qtr-Month].[Quarter].Members}

Where [Time] is the dimension, [Quarter] is the attribute and [Yr-Qtr-Month] is the hierarchy.

The members that come out of this query look like: [Time].[Yr-Qtr-Month].[2001].[Q1],  [Time].[Yr-Qtr-Month].[2001].[Q2] ..  [Time].[Yr-Qtr-Month].[2011].[Q4]

Is this also what you are envisioning?

Benny