[Mondrian] Re: xmla security header processing

Michele Rossi michele.rossi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:15:44 EDT 2011

hi,
at the moment DefaultXmlaServlet simply ignores the XMLA SOAP security
information.
If there was ever anything like that in the code before it's certainly been
removed now.

In Excel (with Simba) you can type a username and a password in the dialog
used to create a connection to an xmla server.
Simba puts those two strings in a SOAP "Security" header that looks like my
example below.

I already have a working "mod" of DefaultXmlaServlet that I have been using
for a while capable of reading and using that security header.

Going back to your question about containers: it's certainly possible to
protect access to "/xmla" using a standard http authentication mechanisms
but Simba doesn't support any of that.
Also even if Simba supported it the container would certainly not pass the
authentication information to the XMLA servlet.

And the biggest deal for me is using the credentials provided in Excel to
open an authenticated Olap4j connection.

I will put together a prototype in the next few days, I think it will be
easier to discuss this with a piece of code to look at.

thanks,
Michele