[Mondrian] Mondrian + Hadoop Hive Research

Jordan Ganoff jganoff at pentaho.com
Mon Aug 23 11:30:02 EDT 2010

Calum,

The PDI team recently did some research for using Apache's Hive database
with Mondrian.  You tweeted "Thinking of adding Hive dialect to
Mondrian, too slow for add-hoc queries but would enable mdx reports
against hadoop" on 11:21 AM Aug 22nd. This is an effort to give you a
bit of heads up to some of the issues you'll encounter and the JIRA case
with patches to Mondrian to get Hive working at a remedial level.
Research done by James Dixon, Sean Flatley and myself found the
following issues when integrating Hive with Mondrian 3.1.6.13364.  We
used our custom built Hive JDBC Driver[1] for testing:

- Prepared Statements are mostly unimplemented in the JDBC driver from
Apache in versions 0.5.0 and trunk (0.7.0).  We are working on
implementing more functionality as needed to get Report Designer and
Metadata Editor working well.  Our changes are being contributed back to
the official Hive project but until they are accepted we're building our
own version[1][2].

- Join syntax generated by Mondrian is not compatible with Hive.  In
short, Hive does not support multiple items in the from clause.[2]

See the related JIRA case with attached patches to get Mondrian
3.1.6.13364 to work with Hive and associated test results:
http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-4355

[1]: http://ci.pentaho.com/view/Data%
20Integration/job/apache-hive-0.5.0/
[2]: http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread.php?77826-Hive-amp-Hadoop
[3]: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/LanguageManual/Joins

Hope this helps,

Jordan Ganoff
Software Engineer

Pentaho: The Commercial Open Source Alternative for Business
Intelligence
5950 Hazeltine National Drive, Suite 340 • Orlando, FL 32822, USA
+1 407 812-OPEN (6736) • 407 517-6206 • 321 848-8207
Get your free download today at http://www.pentaho.com.