[Mondrian] getUniqueNameForMemberWithoutHierarchy

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Thu Apr 8 15:13:34 EDT 2010

Will,

Do you recall why you added the method RolapCubeHierarchy.
RolapCubeHierarchyMemberReader. getUniqueNameForMemberWithoutHierarchy?

http://p4webhost.eigenbase.org:8080/@md=d
<http://p4webhost.eigenbase.org:8080/@md=d&cd=//open/mondrian/src/main/mondr
ian/rolap/&cdf=//open/mondrian/src/main/mondrian/rolap/RolapCubeHierarchy.ja
va&sr=10203&c=H9w@//open/mondrian/src/main/mondrian/rolap/RolapCubeHierarchy
.java>
&cd=//open/mondrian/src/main/mondrian/rolap/&cdf=//open/mondrian/src/main/mo
ndrian/rolap/RolapCubeHierarchy.java&sr=10203&c=H9w@//open/mondrian/src/main
/mondrian/rolap/RolapCubeHierarchy.java

It is used to match members retrieved from a SQL query to their existing
parent members.

I'd like to obsolete it because it is using a lot of extra space (a string
of ~60 characters) per member. There is a benefit that because the name is
backwards, e.g. [Berkeley][CA][USA][Store], the equals method will tend to
return 'false' sooner, but I believe that benefit is minor because strings
are compared by hashcode first. I think that the effort of creating a new
string, and the space required to store that string as one of the
properties, would far exceed that benefit.