[Mondrian] assumed memory leak causes oome in Mondrian 3.1.6

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Thu Apr 8 13:36:31 EDT 2010

We put cached data into a thread local to ensure that we do not thrash while
a query is being processed. If a query has a working set larger than main
memory, thrashing would be a pattern where a query loads the first 20% into
memory, loads the next 20% which pushes out the first 20%, loads the next
20% which pushes out the next 20%, references the first 20% which causes the
first 20% to be reloaded (an expensive operation) and pushes out the third
20%. I call it thrashing because it is very similar to virtual memory
thrashing [see  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrashing_(computer_science)>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrashing_(computer_science) ]. If thrashing
occurs, the query might be hundreds or thousands of times slower than if
adequate memory were available. We'd rather that it fails fast with an OOME
than thrashing, and the thread-local achieves this.

That said, you are correct that data should be removed from the thread-local
after the query has stopped processing. Either
RolapStar.pushAggregateModificationsToGlobalCache or
RolapStar.clearCacheAggregations must be called at the end of query
execution, whether the query succeeds or fails. If that is not happening, it
is a bug.

Julian

  _____