[Olap4j-devel] [Mondrian] Convert Connection to OlapConnection

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Tue Apr 6 21:56:58 EDT 2010

I agree with the 4 bundles of functionality you have proposed. But did you
realize that the parser bundle is already present? It's in the
org.olap4j.mdx.parser package:

http://www.olap4j.org/api/org/olap4j/mdx/parser/package-summary.html

The GUI use case you cite is a good one. But it can be done today using
MdxParser, MdxParserFactory, and the parse tree object model classes in the
org.olap4j.mdx package. And by the way, to get a parser factory, you call
OlapConnection.getParserFactory.

Behind the scenes, the olap4j driver is probably using DefaultMdxParserImpl.
(It is for both olap4j drivers that exist today.) But the app does not need
to know about DefaultMdxParserImpl in order to do what it needs to do, only
MdxParser.

Julian

  _____