[Mondrian] XMLA and DISPLAY_INFO

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Mon Apr 5 20:16:19 EDT 2010

The XMLA spec says that the DISPLAY_INFO member property encodes various
pieces of information about a member. In particular the lower two bytes
(that is, the value modulo 65536) encodes the number of children.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms725398(VS.85).aspx

Some comments:

1. Getting the exact number of children is expensive and that SSAS 2000 and
2005 seem to use an approximate number of children. See
<http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/MONDRIAN-339>
http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/MONDRIAN-339 .

2. We are currently getting non-deterministic behavior for the number of
children. This is why there are intermittent failures of
mondrian.xmla.XmlaExcel2007Test.test01 . This is motivating me to fix the
issue.

3. If the member in question is the 'all' member, and the schema designer
has specified approxRowCount attribute of the level below, Mondrian uses
that value. There are no plans to change this behavior.

Two questions:

1. If the member in question is a generated by the VisualTotals function,
should the number of children be the number of actual children or the number
of displayed children?

2. Would anyone mind if Mondrian were to do the same as SSAS 2005 and return
0 if there are no children, 1000 if there are children.