[Mondrian] Re: Parameter function: How to use it?

Julian Hyde jhyde at pentaho.com
Tue Sep 29 18:54:29 EDT 2009

Sorry I didn't get to this question. The documentation is definitely not
adequate in this case. (For 99% of MDX functions, we comply with Microsoft's
de facto spec, so the answer is on MSDN... So we're a bit lazy documenting
our MDX functions.)

If a feature isn't documented, the best place to go for doc is the test
suite. Mondrian may be poorly documented, but it's very well tested. In this
case,

http://p4webhost.eigenbase.org:8080/open/mondrian/testsrc/main/mondrian/test
/ParameterTest.java

The syntax:

Where:
* <name> is a string literal
* <type> is either NUMERIC, STRING, or a hierarchy. If the latter, the
parameter's value is a member of that hierarchy.
* <default value> must be specified, and of course it must be of the right
type for the parameter. It can be an expression. We wanted to ensure that
you could run a parameterized query without having to fill out a page of
parameter values.
* <description> is a string literal

If you want to use the same parameter more than once in the query and don't
want to specify type, default value and description more than once, use
ParamRef(<name>) for the second and subsequent occurrences.

To set parameters, use Query.setParameter(String name, Object value) in the
native API, or use PreparedOlapStatement in olap4j (works similar to JDBC's
PreparedStatement).

http://www.olap4j.org/api/org/olap4j/PreparedOlapStatement.html

http://www.olap4j.org/api/org/olap4j/OlapParameterMetaData.html

Julian