[Mondrian] Olap4J as JNDI datasource and passing Roles

Thomas Morgner mondrian at sherito.org
Tue Nov 10 15:12:36 EST 2009

setRoleName(..) was what I needed. I assume that
the rolename is just vendor-specific so for Mondrian
the same rules as for the "Role" connection property
apply (which is ok by my standards).

Ahh, I wished it would be as easy as unloading all the
responsibilities to the platform. But as the mondrian-
datasources should be usable within and without the platform,
I cant take that route.

So for now, I let the user feed in the role from parameters,
fields etc. If at some later point the platform sets the
role, and the users have no own preference, then simply
not having a role-field set will give them that default.

(But from the feedback I got, Mondrian's roles are not
necessarily the same as the platform roles. So forcing
my users to rely on the platform would get me killed in the
next community meeting.)

As connections are pooled: What happens to the queries/
connections when I change the role between two queries?