[Mondrian] Using parameters in Pentaho Report Designer 3.5 -- issue with formulas

Thomas Morgner mondrian at sherito.org
Wed Nov 4 06:09:44 EST 2009

For OLAP4J, we rely on the OLAP4J driver to provide the
parameter functionality. This works great for Mondrian
connections, but does not work at all for XML/A connections,
as the "parameter" function is a Mondrian specific extension.

There seem to be no "global" parameter concept, like JDBC
introduced. I would already be happy if we can declare
that the "Parameter" function is a part of the OLAP4J
core. Drivers for sources with no native parameter-function
would then be able to parse the MDX query and to do the
parametrization on the client side.

This would free me, a poor application programmer, to have
special cases for Mondrian and non-Mondrian parametrization.

And secondly:
To me, he Formula-post-processing is just a patchy solution
to non-user-friendly parameters in Mondrian.

There is the common use-case that you have a single Date as input
and want to map it into a hierarchy, on a query like this

"Select [Time].[year].[qtr].[month].Children on 0"

Replace "year", "month" and "day" with real values and
it works. But I'm unable to trick Mondrian into accepting
three parameters here.

And so far, I cannot even remotely see a way to feed this
case from a single date-parameter.

Any light you (or any other MDX pro) can shed on this case
would be great. Having some more documentation on the
parametrization of MDX queries would be nice too.